Stone Veneer, Vinyl Siding, Cedar Decking
Double-Pane Low-E Glazed with Argon Fill
Regionally Harvested Oak
Miele, Frigidaire Professional, Faber (All Energy Star Qualified where applicable)
LED Lighting, Advanced HVAC Design, Whole-House Air Cleaner, Energy Recovery Ventilator
COMFORTABLE LIVING IN LUXURIOUS STYLE
This project began by first helping our client locate a suitable building lot to design/construct their family’s ‘forever’ home. After a somewhat exhaustive process, we helped our client find the perfect setting to plant their family roots; thus commencing the extensive design process of a custom green home where memories will be enjoyed by their family year after year. From the beginning, our client desired a home that blended craftsman details with a country farmhouse aesthetic. The result – a conspicuously comfortable home with a somewhat rustic décor and a dash of elegant sophistication.
Programmatically, our client shared a few important requests: while they did not need a formal Dining Room or Living Room, they did desire a generally open first floor layout, but with rooms that still maintained a distinct prominence on their own. As a result, we created a design that situated separate spaces for the Kitchen, Den, Dining Area, Great Room, and Play Room all in close proximity, but with important prominent visual connections throughout. For example, the single delineation between the cathedral Great Room and the sizable Dining Area (and adjacent Kitchen) is the impressive two-sided stone fireplace, which is also flanked by two large open walk-throughs on either side. Furthermore, the neighboring Den is only separated, but only by two glass pocket doors (with transom overhead) that can easily be opened up to better unify the spaces. And, perhaps most interestingly, although its own individual space, the Play Room is still quite visually connected to the Great Room through the large fish tank built into the wall between the two rooms.
As the designer/builder, our team worked very hard to help blend this original design with proven energy-efficient/healthy home strategies and details. Some of those features are listed below:
- Ultra-tight building envelope to minimize air infiltration/exfiltration.
- Highly insulated (formaldehyde-free) thermal envelope – R-52 ceiling, R-26 framed walls, R-21 basement walls, R-10 underslab.
- Energy-efficient doors and windows – 0.21 – 0.29 U-factor.
- Advanced, ultra-efficient HVAC system – SEER 20.5, HSPF 13.0 air-source heat pump with an efficient Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV) and well-sealed, insulated ducts.
- LED lighting throughout – 9.5 watts (compared to 75 watts) each & dimmable down to 10%.
- Energy Star Qualified exhaust fans & appliances – refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer.
- Whole-house, industry-leading air cleaner integrated with the HVAC system.
- Zero-VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints throughout.
- Hard surfaces throughout including regionally-harvested oak flooring and eco-conscious tile.
With its high-performance standards, wrap-around porch, private cathedral Master Suite, and charming country craftsman details throughout, our client has shared with us that this home has more than exceeded their expectations. We are honored and thankful to have been chosen to craft this family’s custom green home; and look forward to cultivating our new friendship over the coming years as they make their house their ‘forever’ home.